Recipe adapted from Bruno Albouze
12 large or 18 medium
2 cup whole milk (500 ml)
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 cup sugar
120 g all purpose flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1.5 tbsp Grand Marnier
soften butter to brush inside silicone molds
1. Place milk and butter in pot and bring to boil.
2. While milk is cooking. In a bowl whisk together yolks, whole egg, sugar, vanilla, flour and cornstarch.
3. Once milk boiled, add a small amount into egg mixture. Only a little at a time to prevent cooking egg. Gradually add in all the milk while stirring to combine everything together.
4. Add in the Grand Marnier. Let batter cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Best 24-48 hrs. But if you can't wait then at least 1-2 hrs.(highly recommend overnight)
5. 30 mins before baking, take batter out to let it come to room temperature. Stir and strain with a fine mesh.
6. Brush soften butter to silicone molds. Refrigerate the molds 10 minutes to harden butter.
7. Preheat oven 465F.
8. Place silicone molds on a baking tray. Stir the batter and fill a little above 3/4 of mold but not full.
9. Bake at 465F for 10 mins. Then reduce to 365F for 1 hour. These temperatures are for silicone molds. Baking time will be less for copper and steel molds.
10. Remove caneles from molds and let it cool completely before serving. Caneles get the crispy caramelized exterior once cooled.