Another great Vietnamese dessert. This one consists of many ingredients. All a good combination. I took this to my friend Helen's party and I guess my friends like it. However, the Vietnamese friends like it sweeter than the Chinese friends. I think Vietnamese people have a sweet tooth so more sugar if your Viet. :) I reduced the ingredients here since I made a really big pot to the party.
1 lb Yuca (cut in 1 inch chunks)
1/2 lb yam (2 different kind)(cut in 1 inch chunks)
1/2 bag blanched peanuts (170 g soak for 1+ hr) (optional)
1/2 bag tapioca strip (3-4 oz. soak for 1hr)
3/4 cup hulled mung bean (soak 30mins)
2 cans coconut cream or milk
10 cups water (less or more as you like)
1. Cook the peanuts for 30+ minutes. Remove water and set a side.
2. Boil 10 cups water and add in the peanuts. Let it brings to boil and cook for another 5 minutes. The peanuts will be a bit crunchy.
3. Add in the soaked mung bean and cook for 5-8 minutes.
4. Add in the yuca and yam. Cook for 5-8 minutes until they are soft. They cook pretty fast so watch them and not let them melt.
5. Now add in the soaked tapioca strips. This should cook pretty fast as well so when you see them clear they are cooked.
6. Add in the coconut cream and let it bring to boil.
7. Now add in the sugar until sweet.
8. Serve hot or cold.