Sunday, February 3, 2019

Nian Gao and Alkaline Dumplings


Here is my Lunar New Year must have once a year! First time using gula melaka sugar to make Chinese New Year cake nian gao. As it is my first time using this sugar, I managed  to make a black cake!🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ So to save the day, I make another one using palm sugar and coconut milk. I have not taste them yet so can't tell if they taste good or not.😆

Update: All cakes and dumplings taste good!

I also make one of my favorite alkaline dumplings Kee Chang. A very simple chewy dumpling which I eat with brown sugar syrup.
Recipes below⬇️



















Here is all the recipes I used. I used instant pot to save a little time.
Nian gao (recipe) high pressure 40 mins

Coconut nian gao (recipe) 6 inch pan. Line with banana leaves. Brush inside with some oil will help easy removal later. Cover top with aluminum foil to prevent water dripping on cake. 2 cup water. Use trivet. High pressure 1 hr, natural release 15-20 mins.

Alkaline dumplings (recipe) using 8qt pressure cooker.24 dumplings. 1/3 cup glutinous rice each. Use trivet. Place all 24 dumplings in. Fill water to max line. Add in 1 tbsp oil. high pressure 1hr 5 mins, natural release 15-20 mins.

No comments: