Wednesday, January 30, 2019

CNY Dragon Cookies

Saw the dragon cookies post by Keem Ooi and it totally got me interested! So I went thru my piping tips to see if I have anything similar. To my surprise, I found a very similar tip (#1E tip)!!! Woohoo...so excited I started right away even though I didn't have margarine so I replaced with butter. Below is recipe adapted from Keem Ooi's recipe. These cookies are crispy yet melt in mouth. Remind me of Vietnamese yeast cookies banh men or kuih bangkit. What do you guys think? Dragon or snake? Asked my family and some think it looks like snake, some even say fish and tadpoles!๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†











Ingredients:
  • 4 oz unsalted butter 
  • 4 oz powder sugar
  • 1/4 tsp fine salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
  • 1 large egg
  • 25-30 g coconut powder
  • 11.5 oz cornstarch
  • 0.5 oz all purpose flour
  • red color for eyes
Directions:
1 Combine butter, icing sugar, salt and vanilla essence, beat over medium speed until light and fluffy.
2 Add in whole egg mix until well 
3 Blend in coconut powder and then add cornstarch and plain flour. Mix over low then medium/high speed until fine crumbs. Then use hand and knead to dough. Be quick to not melt butter.
4 Wear glove. Put some dough (35g) into piping tip and use the thumb to push out the dough to form S like dragon.
5 Use toothpick dip with red color for the eyes.
6 If piped dough lines too straight, can use scissor to snip edges for more scales.
7 Set piped dough tray in refrigerator for an hour until hardened before baking (this will help the cookie to maintain its shape when baked). Or can leave outside for 2 hrs before baking.
8 Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 20 mins. Leave to cool completely before removing cookies.

No comments: