Thursday, November 5, 2020

Tau Sa Pia- Mung Bean Biscuits

Everytime I watch Chinese drama, they're always eating some kind of pastry or biscuit. I couldn't stand it anymore so I got up and start making some tau sa pia to try. This biscuit have the fragrance of fried shallots, sweet and savory mung bean. The crust is super flaky! I mean my mouth was watery seeing those crumbs falling off of the actress's mouth...so I must try.πŸ˜†  

Now the savory part is not for everyone.  My husband who love all thing mung bean doesn't like it sweet and savory at the same time.😬 He says it either sweet or savory alone and no shallot because he couldn't smell or taste the mung bean.πŸ™„ Guess I'll be eating these flaky delicious pia by myself. πŸ˜‹



The recipe I used this time is from mykitchen101en. Instead of making 12 small, I made a little larger 10. I also like them a little flatter and add a flower stamp using a mini flower cutter dip into red food color with some water to create the stamp. After stamping, bake stamped side facing down for 16-17 minutes at 390F. Take tray out, flip biscuits over and *eggwash twice for darker color. Then return to oven and bake another 7-8 minutes.  Let cool before serving. 

NOTE: *Eggwash using brown egg will give it a deeper color compare to white egg. 1 egg beat with 1 tsp water. Strain before using. Eggwash once and let dry for a minute before applying second wash. Let dry for a minute before baking again to get the glossy look.

*Lazy to cook mung bean on stove so always cook in rice cooker. Lazy to bring out blender so I just press it through a strainer while still hot. 

No comments: