Sunday, September 8, 2019

Coconut Mooncakes

It seems I'm always last minute on making mooncakes or maybe everything...🤣 Last year I told myself I'll make mooncakes to give to families and friends next year. However, every year I'll get lazy and delay...lol. I'm not very experience with making mooncake so here I am experimenting.  I must be crazy making so much fillings and dough when I'm just experimenting. So last minute I decided to just bake 5 just for tasting first. So far the people who tasted it say very good! I just love the coconut and some candied melon in it for crunch.😋


 After baking. These are 50g cakes.
Before baking














Ingredients:

600 g grated coconut (used old coconut today)
270 g sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
50 g melon seeds roasted
50 g sesame seeds roasted
30 g light corn syrup
About 90-100 g fried glutinous rice (koh fun)
100-120 ml water
Some vanilla powder

Instructions:

1. Mix sugar and salt with grated coconut and let soak for few hours or overnight in refrigerator.

2. On medium low heat lightly roast melon seeds and sesame separately. Remove from pan.

3. Add sugared coconut to pan and continuously stir on medium heat. Add in water, stir then add in corn syrup and stir well.

4. Slowly add in fried glutinous flour and stir well. Add in toasted melon and sesame seeds. Add in vanilla powder. Taste if not sweet enough add in more syrup.

5. Remove from heat to cool. Then for 50g mold use 35g fillings and 15g dough or 20g for thicker. For 100g mold use 70g fillings and 30g dough. Since mom loves more dough I used 40g instead.

For dough: I used Jeannie Tay mooncake dough recipe. ➡️ Recipe
I didn't use all 450g all purpose flour as my golden syrup is very thick and dark since it's been 1 year old. I also used canola oil instead since no vegetable oil.

Bake at 180C for 15 mins. Take out (spray with water in fine mist on cakes right away) then cool 15 mins. After 15 minutes cooling, brush egg wash and bake for 7-9 minutes until golden  brown. (Strain egg wash first for better result. Apply only thin layer)

Recipe yield. About 16 (100g) mooncakes.
Here are my 100g mooncakes.

 After egg wash and baking
Before baking

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello chi, may I ask the recipe for this mooncakes? I been trying to log into her blog, but I can't. I was hoping that you still have the recipe. Everything you make it so tempting, I've been following your blog for a long time, and try to make couple things already...came out super delicious especially your wife cake... thank you so much for taking your time and sharing all this recipes.

Unknown said...

Hi chi, if you don't mind may I ask the recipe for this mooncake dough, it seem like the owner of the blog have lock it, i been trying to get in. Btw, I been following your blog for a long time it was amazed seeing your cooking and baking skills. I did try some of your recipes, it came out delicious, especially your wife cake. Thank you so much for taking your time sharing all this food recipes.