I am searching for a perfect recipe for Portuguese tarts. I think I'm closer to my goal. This is homemade puff pastry and it's so crispy! I love it!!!
After watching numerous videos on Portuguese tarts, I find the real tart uses egg yolks and flour cooked to paste with milk. Also baking in high temperature of 250C 482F or higher for a shorter baking time. The inside custard is creamy and outside super crispy even after cooling. So good! Now I will try for a silky custard similar to egg tarts.😋😋😋
Ingredients: makes 11-12 tarts standard tart molds
200 ml whole milk
50 ml heavy cream
115 ml water
90-100 g sugar
30 g all purpose flour
4 large or xl yolks
20 g condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla or use lemon peel
1. In one pot, mix flour with some milk, stir and slowly add in all milk and heavy cream until smooth. Turn on heat and continuously stir into a thick paste about 3-5 minutes.
2. In a separate pot, mix sugar and water together. Boil it 6-7 minutes or until temperature reach 105C.
3. Slowly add the sugar syrup to dough mixture. Mix until smooth. Strain with a fine mesh strain. Cool 10 minutes.
4. Mix condensed milk with yolks. Now add dough mixture into yolks. Mix until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
165 g all purpose flour
140 g unsalted butter room temperature
85-90 g cold water
1/8 tsp salt
1. Mix flour, salt and water and knead into stick dough. Let rest 10 minutes to relax dough.
2. Sprinkle flour on counter. Place dough and roll into flat thin rectangle shape.
3. Spread 1/3 butter on 2/3 of dough. Fold the end without butter in then fold the other end over like folding letter.
4. Repeat. Sprinkle flour and roll dough out into thin rectangle shape if possible. Spread butter to 2/3 of dough and fold again.
5. If dough too soft to handle then cover and freeze 10 minutes. Then roll out again. This time spread butter all over surface of dough.
6. Starting from one end and roll dough into a log. Now cut and divide into 11 pieces. (Melt some butter and brush into mold first for easy remove tarts.) Then place dough into molds and start spread to mold shape. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
1. Preheat oven 250C 485F. Or 500F
2. Take tarts molds out of refrigerator and fill with custard solution.
3. Bake on middle rack for 10 minutes. Then place on top rack for 5 minutes or until see brown burnt spots. (If after 5 minutes no burnt spots then turn on broil for few more minutes. )
4. Turn off oven. Leave door slightly open for 3-5 minutes before taking out of oven. Or take out right away if already too dark.
5. Leave in mold to cool for few minutes before consuming. Custard extremely hot.
* Can reheat in oven at 350F for 5-7 minutes next day.