We have some ripe bananas so I decided to make steamed banana cake. This is another Vietnamese dessert which is good with coconut milk or make it into che, sweet soup. This is my first time making it. The result is good...actually it was pretty good. I ate a big plate of it...yumm... This kind of cake is a little chewy since we used tapioca starch.
10 ripe bananas
3 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup rice flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2cup water
1 tsp salt
few drops of yellow color
1. Mix the starch and flour with water, sugar, salt, and yellow coloring.
2. Slice the ripe bananas into about 1/2 inch. Make sure not too thick or thin. Stir the bananas into the flour mixture.
3. Heat a pot of water for steaming. Oil two large pans and steam the pans. Now stir the banana mixture and pour into the pan. Pour about 1 inch high. You can make the cake thicker but this will take longer to steam. Steam for at least 40 minutes. Remove any extra water on top of cake. Let the cake cool before cutting.
1 can 560 ml coconut cream
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp cornstarch
4 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1. Mix everything together and stir constantly over heat. Once the coconut milk become thicken then it's done. Remember to taste and see if you need more sugar.
1. Slice the cake side way so it have the diamond shape. Pour coconut milk over and sprinkle some roasted sesame and peanuts. Sesame can be roasted in mini oven on 350F until golden. Same with peanuts. Enjoy!!!
Note: You can cook some tapioca pearl to add into the coconut milk to make sweet soup. For this you do not need the add cornstarch to the coconut milk. The tapioca pearl will thicken the soup. Remember to add more sugar for taste.