Had a craving for this cake since I have not eat it for a while. So I decided to make this my way based on what I have at home. Usually my mom make this and make it with fresh rice. But then you have to soak the rice overnight and blend it. Making it with rice flour is so much easier. My first time making and the result was great!!! You can always replace the dried scallop with ground meat.
1 bag rice flour 400 grm
50 gram cornstarch (about 1/3 cup cornstarch)
50 gram of cooked rice
1.6 liter water
1 can coconut cream (400 ml)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cup dried shrimps soak overnight
7-8 XL dried scallops soak overnight (and shredded after soaking)
1 1/2 cup fried red onion
4-5 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh scallion
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1. Combine rice flour and cornstarch to with 1 liter of water and mix well.
2. In a blender blend the cooked rice with 600ml water. Place the mixture in a pot with 1 scoop of the rice flour mixture and heat until hot but not boiling. Remember to stir as it will stick to the bottom of pan. Add this hot mixture into the rice flour mixture and stir will pouring. Mix well.
3. Add in the coconut milk and stir well. Add in the salt and sugar.
5. Heat a pot of water for steaming. Oil a 12 inch pan. The pan should be at least 4-5 inches high. After the water boil, place the pan in to heat.
6. Once the pan is heated up, stir the rice flour mixture and pour in about 2 cups. Cover and steam for 10-15 minutes until the top is firm enough to pour a second layer. Repeat until all mixture is gone. Remember to add more water for steaming as it will dry up.
7. After the final layer, steam it for another 30-40 minutes until the cake kind of separate from the pan. Let the cake cool a little.
1. While the cake is steaming, shred the soaked scallop. Heat a small pot of water and boil the shredded scallops for 1 minute and then drain.
2. Chop the dried shrimps in small chunks.
3. Heat a pan with some oil. Fry the garlic until golden and stir in the dried scallop and shrimps. Stir until the scallop and shrimp are brownish and somewhat dry. Add in seasoning and stir will. Taste and add more if needed. Now add in the scallion and stir. Add in the fried red onion and stir. Leave to cool. Add the topping to the cake.
10 tbsp sugar
8 tbsp fish sauce
3 cup water
1 1/4 lime
4-5 cloves of garlic
Chop the garlic and chillies finely. Add in the lime juice, sugar and water. Mix well and then add in the fish sauce. Better to add in the fish sauce slowly and taste it before adding more. Taste and add more. The sauce should be spicy, kind of sweet, and tasty with some sour.
***Eat the cake with the fish sauce. The sauce is not for dipping but to pour over the cake. Only pour over the one you're eating. The cake can be refrigerate and microwave again when eating. If you don't want to use coconut milk then just use water.