Need to make something easy for kids to eat for breakfast and afternoon snacks. So I make their favorite mini steamed pork buns just the right size for breakfast. These must be very good seeing my youngest eating one after another! I have to tell him no more!🤣
Prepare fillings and cut parchment paper ahead of time. Dough can easily overproof if not fast enough. Overproof dough will give darker color and lumpy skin.
545g ground pork
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp vegetable oil
100 g chopped onion
2 stalks chopped scallions
1 tsp shaoxing rice wine
1 tsp chicken powder
1 tsp tapioca starch/cornstarch
4 tbsp water
Sweet Chinese sausages
Mix all seasonings together with pork except for water and sausages. Stirring within one direction until well combined and slowly add in water. Continue to stir until meat absorbed all water. Divide meat into 25 pieces about 30 g each. Place chopped suasages on top. Cover and refrigerate.
For dough: makes 25 buns.
450 g all purpose flour
50 g cornstarch
180 g warm water
70 g whole milk
60 g sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast
40 g vegetable oil
1. Mix yeast with some warm water and 1 tsp sugar for about 5 minutes until foamy.
2. Mix all ingredients into electric mixer to knead dough for 12 minutes until smooth and elastic. Easier if use paddle first to form dough then use hook to knead dough on speed #2 (Add more flour if too wet, more milk if too dry)
3. Cover and rest dough for 10 minutes.
4. Knead dough and divide into 25 pieces about 35g each. Knead into round balls. Must cover dough with moist cloth to prevent drying.
5. After kneading all into round balls, then roll first dough into wrapper about 10 cm circle. (Easier to roll if add flour to surface.)
6. Place meat filling into wrapper and pleat into bun. Repeat until done. Rest buns for 15-20 minutes. (Best divide into 2 batches for steaming. So after finishing one tray, time it. Then work on rest of buns. Time up then steam first tray.)
7. Bring water in steamer to boil. Add in 1 soup spoon vinegar. Steam buns for 12-15 minutes. (Open lid after 5 minutes to remove liquid on lid. Then cover back)