Feel like eating dessert and I have taro and tapioca at home. So I created this special 2 in 1 combo of taro and tapioca together. It's very interesting because you can taste the flavor of the taro and the chewiness of the tapioca. The tapioca pearl and coconut milk is a great soup for this dessert. Eat it cold and the taro/tapioca is even more chewy.
1 lb taro
1 1/2 lb grated tapioca (yuca)
1 cup glutinous rice flour
1 cup coconut cream
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup tapioca pearl
4 cup water
1 can 19 oz coconut cream
1 1/4 cup sugar
1. Chop the taro into chucks and steam it until soft. Approximately 30 minutes.
2. After taro is soft, mash it with a potato ricer or with a big spoon.
3. Mix the mashed taro, grated tapioca, sugar, and salt together.
4. In the cup of coconut cream, mix 6 drop of red and 4 drop of yellow coloring together to make purple. Mix this with the glutinous rice flour into paste and add into the taro/tapioca. Mix well.
5. Heat a pot of water to steam. Oil the pans and steam the cake for 30 minutes.
6. In a pot heat some water to cook tapioca pearl. Cook it until it's somewhat translucent and strain.
7. In a pot boil 4 cup water and add in the coconut cream. Add in the cooked tapioca pearl and sugar. Put it on simmer.
8. Cut the taro/tapioca cake and drop each piece into the coconut soup. The soup is finish after adding the taro into the soup. *Do not cut the cake too small as it will be mushy.
Note: This soup will become thicken once it's cool. Cook another can of coconut milk with water and some sugar to add into the soup. Once you cook this again the next day it tastes even better. Very creamy and have the taro aroma.