- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 even pieces (or vegetable oil)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400*F (205*C). When ready to bake, generously coat a 12-cup muffin tin or 6-cups popovers pan with the the cut butter or oil.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until well blended. Add the milk and whisk until blended. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt; whisk until thoroughly blended and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the hot oiled muffin tin or popover pan, filling each cup two-thirds full. Place the tin or cups in the oven and immediately turn the heat up to 450*F (230*C). Bake for 10 minutes. Without opening the oven door, reduce the oven temperature to 350*F (180*C) and bake for 20 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin or cups for a few minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Makes 6 popovers or 12 mini popovers.
Note: To reheat leftover popovers, set on a baking sheet and heat in a preheated 350*F (175*C) oven for 10 minutes. You can also use coconut milk instead of milk.