We have milk that was about to expire the next day and didn't know what to do. I thought about steam milk custard but then found a simple recipe for custard pudding, which look and tastes exactly like flan except we steam it instead of baking. The only thing I change is double the ingredients, add instant coffee and condense milk. If I ever want to eat flan, I'll use this recipe again and try different flavor like coconut, pandan, and durian. The best and quick recipe for flan. I was so high eating my coffee flan. Every bite so smooth and delicious!!!
Ingredients: 7 (4 oz bowl)
8 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water
3-4 tbsp hot water
4 large eggs
500 ml milk
5 tbsp sugar
3-4 tbsp condense milk
1.5 tbsp instant coffee (used nescafe taster choice) +1/4 boiling water
unsalted butter (optional if eating in the bowl)
1. Prepare your molds and wipe the inside with some butter.
2. In a small pot, place the sugar with water and cook on med heat until caramelize. Turn off stove and add in 3-4 tbsp hot water, mix. Now pour into molds.
2. In a big bowl, slightly whisk eggs until mix but not foamy. Put aside.
3. Pour milk into a large microwavable bowl and microwave for 2 mins. If it's an old microwave then do 3 mins until warm-hot but not burning.
4. While heating milk, prepare the coffee.
5. Add condense milk and sugar to hot milk. Add in the prepared coffee.
6. While the milk is still warm-hot, slowly whisk into egg bowl. Add slowly to prevent cooking the egg.
7. Strain the mixture and then divide into molds. Cover individual mold with aluminum foil.
8. Place a towel in your pan, place the molds in. Add in hot water to the pan about 1/2 of mold. Cover and steam on low heat for 20 mins. Do not let the water bubble up or your flan will have lots of bubble. After 20 mins, turn off heat and let it sit for another 5 mins.
9. Take molds out to cool and place in refrigerator. Serve cold.
This is where I got the recipe: Cooking with Dog . Check it out.