Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Orange Madeleines

I was craving for some cakes, so thought of making the madeleines. Yes, craving for some cake at 3 am...lol. First time trying it and it's pretty good. My friend Mark shared this recipe but I didn't have lemon so I used orange zest instead. The outcome is nice and fluffy.



Ingredients:

Makes 1 dozen

1/2 Cup Sifted All Purpose Flour (take out 1 tbsp)
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Sugar (take 1 tbsp out if don't want to be too sweet)
2 Eggs Separated
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Orange zest

Confectioners Sugar to sprinkle on top when cooled!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1. Generously grease the Madeleine Molds with Butter. (Optional if you have nonstick pan)
2. In a small bowl, cream together the butter and half the sugar. If butter is hard, microwave for 20 seconds. 10 seconds each time. Do not melt it.
3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beat well until the mixture is smooth.
4. Add vanilla, orange zest and flour. Mix well with a spoon.
5. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form when you lift the beater.
6. Fold the egg whites into the batter, a little at a time, until it is fully blended. Best to us a spatula to rotate the batter and egg white together.
7. Fill each mold about 2/3's full (about 1 full tbsp each) and bake the cakes for 4 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 350F. Bake for another 6 minutes until slightly browned on the edges and top. Watch it or it'll burn!

2 comments:

Thao said...

Hi Ch3rri,

Where did you purchase the madeleines mold? I have not seen them at Target or Walmart. I would like to make madeleines for my children. Thank you.

Kristy said...

I got my mold at Bed Bath & Beyond. Try getting a coupon and it'll be cheaper.