Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fried Rice Cakes with Eggs (Banh Bot Chien)

One of my fiance's favorite bot chien with eggs and scallions. This is my first time making this and it taste delicous. For one rice cake you can make 3 dishes out of it. You do not need to make everything at one time. Can always save the cakes for next day.

day 1 with onions. Very good since the onion give it a sweet flavor.
day 2. No onion but more eggs and scallions
day 2. No onion but more eggs and scallions
This is how it should look like. Pour eggs and scallion over it and then flip to cook.

Picture of the flour and the sauce.


Ingredients:
1 bag of rice flour (1lb)
3 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp MSG (optional)
2 tbsp oil
7 cups water


For stir-fry:
1 bunch scallions (the more the better)
10 eggs (for the whole cake)
Onions (optional)


Dipping sauce:
Use dim sum sauce or make your own.
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
3 hot chillies chopped

Mix everything together and taste. Best to add in Sriracha hot chili sauce when eat.


Method 1:
1. Mix everything together and stir well.

2. Heat a pot of water to steam the cake. Once water hot, pour misture in a pan and steam for 30-40 minutes until done. When insert a chopstick in and it comes out clean then it is done.

3. Have to let the cake cool and harden before cutting. Cut the cake into 1-2 inch rectangle pieces.

4. Use some oil to fry the cakes until golden brown and crispy. Fry both sides.

5. Add in as much eggs and scallions as you like. Stir fry until cook.

6. Serve with soy sauce and hot sauce.


Method 2: I think this method is better as the cake come out softer and easier to steam and cut.

1. Mix all ingredients together for rice cake.

2. Put the mixture in a pot and heat until slightly thicken. Remember not to turn fire too high. This part is very tricky as you have to constantly stir the mixture to prevent uneven cooking. (Best if you use a beater to blend it afterward for a more smoother texture.)

3. When mixture is slightly thicken, pour in an oiled pan. Then steam until cook. The steam time should be shorter and the outcome should be better. :)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favourite. But never try to cook by myself, will follow your recipe for my 1st time!

Unknown said...

in malaysia, we have something similar - it is called chai tau kway. i have it in my blog

Kristy said...

Remember to use a bigger mold as it takes longer to steam a thick cake. Hmmm..I might just make this again. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my boyfriend LOVES this! I want to make this for him but Im not familiar with steaming. I have a rice cooker that has a steam insert. Can i steam it in that and just lay something over the holes in the insert? What would I use to cover the holes?

Kristy said...

I'm not sure if the rice cooker works or not since this is a lot of liquid. You might able to do it if you cut the recipe in half. They do sell the steaming pot at the Asian supermarket. Might be useful to have one as there are other recipes that use steaming. Also, if you have a big pot and a metal stand, you can use that too. Just fill the water up to the metal stand and put the mold on top of it.

Anonymous said...

hello there,

Just want to drop by to say thank you for adding my blog to your list and your lovely comment on the shoutbox. Hope we can exchange ideas on blogging too :D anything to do with food lol.

Cheers,
Suz @ Madam Kwong's Kitchen

Shanna said...

I made this tonight along with your curry fish. It was sooo good! I just wish I would've had a recipe for a dip to eat with the fried rice cakes and eggs.

juliet khoo said...

Can i know the packing of 1 bag rice flour. Thanks.

Kristy said...

Hi jlkhoo50. I posted the picture of the rice flour. It is 1lb.

Happy cooking!

Issy said...

Hi Ch3rri,

I made banh bot chien last night and I must say yours is the greatest, not too hard and dry or too wet. Yummy. Thanks again.

Issy

Issy said...

I don't know if my last comment about banh bot chien went through.
I made mine last night and it was awesome. Just right. Thanks again.

Issy

zepres said...

Thanks for the recipe. It was delicious.

I used only 6 1/2 cups of water.

For added flavor, I splashed a few drops of dark soy sauce and let it cover and kind-of burn on the outside of the pieces before adding the egg.

zepres

zepres said...

Thanks for the recipe. It was delicious.

I used only 6 1/2 cups of water.

For added flavor, I splashed a few drops of dark soy sauce and let it cover and kind-of burn on the outside of the pieces before adding the egg.

Anonymous said...

Can you give me more details on how to steam the rice cake? I just dont quite understand how to steam the cake. I believe i bought the correct steam pot. mine looks like a pot with a rack that has holes in it. please help!

Kristy said...

If you got the steam pot from the Asian store, then it should be silver and yes it comes with two middle trays that have holes in them. What you do is fill the bottom pot with water, at least half full so it doesn't dry up that fast. Cover and boil it. Then when the water is boiled, place one of the tray with holes on. Now you can place your rice cake mixture in a pan and place on that tray. Cover and steam. Check on it once in a while to see if you need more water or not and add more water to the bottom of the pot. Steam your cake as instructed in the recipe. Remember to let your cake cool before cutting.

Kristy said...

Oh, I have never use the electric steamer so not sure how long that will take for this steam cake in that. I think it's best to get the Asian steam pot as it's cheaper and bigger so you can steam more things at one time.

Google steaming pot and look at the one with 2 tier or 3 tier. It kind of look like a bun shape.

Anonymous said...

I bought this bag from D & D Gold Products Corp called "Trieu Chau Bot Chien" 12 oz. It comes with French, Chinese, and Vietnamese directions. Anyone heard of it or can translate it into English for me? Thanks a million!